Monday, June 21, 2010

Burano: New Mosaic For Donna

I created this little mosaic (about 3x8") for Donna Van Hooser, an amaaaaaazing mosaic artist I met on Flickr. It is inspired by the wonderfully colorful houses of Burano. I just love how they are situated by the water with the little boats. As soon as I drew the design, I knew exactly where the mille was going! I even found some teensy, tiny, seriously almost microscopic mille for the door knobs! I'm finding one of my favorite parts of creating my mosaics is determining where I will be putting millefiori. :) And I have been saving these two shades of fabulous mottled blue glass for just the perfect occasion and found it with this mosaic. I really like how it gives depth to the sky and water. The sun is a little fused piece of glass, given to me by Jane Denison (master mosaicist of houses, who I thought of often as I made this piece!).

Donna made me this mosaic, with lovely, lovely blues, my favorite color, and look at the andamento!! She does the most perfect cuts. And of course I love the mille. I don't know if she meant it or not, but I see a leaf blowing in the breeze - maybe because it is a recurring theme in my mosaics of nature! She framed it, too, and I always appreciate when artists do that. Thanks so much, Donna!!

8 comments:

  1. Nice blog and wonderful mosaic CB. I love the one Donna made for you, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Великолепная работа! Аккуратная, яркая, поднимает настроение.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What wonderful way to render the cheerfulness of Burano and its colourful houses! I love this! The mosaic from Donna is great, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Christine, just catching up on your blog. I think I'm gonna have to have one of your mosaics one day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Gwyn, I'd love to make you something :)

    ReplyDelete